Blue Tilapia Care Sheet
- Family: Cichlidae
- Subfamily: Pseudocrenilabrinae
- Tribe: Tilapiini
- Genus: Oreochromis
- Species: O. aureus
This is based on my option and my experience at my commercial farm.
- Water Temp: 72-90F – 45F is lethal for blue tilapia, best breeding temperature is around 80F.
- PH: 7-9
- Food: 1-3 inch- Flake Food, 3 inch up appropriate size pellet
- Max size- 16 inch 5 pounds
Tilapia are a VERY hardy fish and can tolerate a wide rage of water conditions. They will start breeding around 4-5 inches in size. They will need pipes/hides to promote breeding.
- My water parameters as of 06/07/17 (Deep Well Water)
My feed I use at my farm-
Wordley Tropical Fish Flake Food (Fry- 3 inch+/-)
Cargill 4010 Floating Pellets (3 inch +)
- Float your unopened in the water that they will introduced to
- Air line/stone
- Open bag and insert airline or pour into a container with airline
- Add tank water (1 cup +/- ) to adjust them to your PH
- Repeat #4 every 5-10 mins for 30 minutes
- Net them out of the water and add them to your tank. (DO NOT ADD SHIPPING WATER TO YOU SYSTEM)
- Cycling your tank: I know you hear this all the time but it is very important to have your tank cycled before introducing your new tilapia.
- Hides: 4-6 Inch PVC pipes (for breeding)
- Tank Mates: Bottom Dwellers like catfish (of similar size)
- Crayfish- (Red Claws and Native Crayfish) Other similar size cichlids